Thursday 22 March 2012

{ let’s imagine } pretty pillows

Victoria ~ EdinHome Co.

A few weeks back I purchased this fabric to make pillows for my new product line, The Edin Collection (launching in mid-May)…

Pillow Fabric

I really enjoy the design process involved in creating lovely and unique soft furnishings, especially with fun fabrics like these! Before I started cutting I played with the fabric to determine which coordinating fabrics and patterns worked best together, I sketched a few pillow-front ideas like using buttons, incorporating fabric/pattern blocking or taking advantage of directional prints and – based on my sketches – I created some patterns to get me started.

Before I can get down to the business of creating though, I seek out inspiration! Interiors shared on all my favourite blogs are extremely inspirational, and of course I devour the beautiful pages of my Canadian House & Home and Style at Home magazines!!

Real-life inspiration is the best though!!

Like this sweet pillow from Anthopologie

Anthropologie Pillow

I explored this wonderful new-to-Vancouver store yesterday while on the hunt for drawer pulls for my “new” bathroom vanity (a soon-to-share story!!) and was immediately inspired by this flower appliqued pillow. I found myself thinking how not only could I make a pillow like this, my coordinated fabric would be perfect!

So don’t be surprised if you see a similar pillow as part of The Edin Collection :-)

Signature 2[3]

10 comments:

  1. OOh I like the inspiration photo! Are you making pillows with solid blocks or more a patchwork/applique style? Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh WOW -- can't wait to see the finished piece!!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's the beauty of DIY! You can find your inspiration anywhere, and then apply your talents and twist on your inspiration to your own creations. Can't wait to see what you do, and I'm so looking forward to the Edin Collection reveal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful Victoria! Can't wait to see what you craft up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your sewing and creative capabilities with pillows. Oh well, I guess I won't have to be when I can just order from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pillows are the most under-rated yet most appreciated design element needed in most spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your choice of fabrics! Wishing you success on the launch of your new line.
    Personally, I think you have a winner and they should go fast.
    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND Victoria. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see the new line. How exciting. I love that pillow from Anthro :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving all your pillow ideas Victoria! This sounds and looks exciting-can't wait to see the finished ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see these. I have been sewing up a pillow storm at my place for the cottage. Made about 15 so far and probably at least another 15 to go.

    ReplyDelete