Sunday 15 April 2012

{ let’s create } high street art at a low street price

Today’s post brought to you by Kelly

This is seriously one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to create awesome original art. I was inspired by this beautiful piece that KariAnne at Thistlewood Farm made.

kerianne

And this was KariAnne’s inspiration – which costs £200 at Not On The High Street. WTF?! At that price, I’d hate to know what IS on the High Street! ;-)

kerianne inspiration

For a grand total of $4.00, my version is most definitely low street. And that’s fine with me, ‘cause I love it and it saved me about $396.00CDN :-)

the sea

Want to make one too? It’s easy! All you need is a canvas, stick-on letters {mine are from the Dollar Store}, and paint.

supplies

The hardest part {which really isn’t hard at all} is creating the “broken” heart shape, You want both sides of the heart to be pretty much symmetrical, and you have to make all the letters fit right. Once you’ve got that figured out, just stick on the letters and add a few coats of paint.

letters

I used a combination of grey & white paint and applied it on at an angle. Just ‘cause that’s how I roll :-) And that’s it! Told you it was easy ;-)

done 1

I’m probably going to glue this little starfish to the canvas. I just want to be absolutely sure it’s what I want to do before I commit! What do you think?

close-up

on mantel

I’ve got another little canvas with an ocean quote drying as we speak, and a 12” x 12” square canvas that’s going to be a little Mark Twain-esque… plus I have a whole whack of DIY projects I’ve been working on today to show you. Did I mention that homemade chalk paint is on my to-do list? Mmmm-hmmmm, I think I did… stay tuned!

kelly sig

Linking up to Five Days 5 Ways, DIY Project Parade, and

11 comments:

  1. So cute! I love it! One of these would look great in our bedroom or living room... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I saw it at Thistlewood and definitely want to imitate. Great job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I've never seen this before...but now will not forget it! You did a great job! Looks like it's from a high end store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love sayings and intriguing phrases and wordplay with shapes in decals... this is great, Kelly! Love your artwork! ;) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You are making me want to run out to Michael's and clean out their supply of canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this project, I must try my hand at this! You did a great job… Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give me the $4.00 option any day - what a great look !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! It's so cute, a must! -Jessica@GreenPB&Js

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such great ideas! And your lavender glass float is beautiful! I am swinging on the starfish - can't decide, so I'm looking forward to what you decide in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually have an original KariAnne! It's fabulous and your version rocks too!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete