Friday 16 March 2012

pretty in spring pink: a fun & easy { let’s create } project

Blossoms 7

Cherry blossoms make me extremely happy. I suspect they have they affect on pretty much everyone, wouldn’t you agree? Like crocuses, daffodils and tulips, they’re the first indicators that spring is finally here… and like these lovely spring flowers, seeing pink and white cherry blossoms just fills me with pleasure!





cherry-blossom-art-7



So can you blame me then for getting excited when I discovered Alphamom Isabel’s easy art-craft project; a project that would allow me to bring lovely pink flowers into my home a few weeks before they actually bloomed outside on the trees?!

I mean really… pop bottle blossoms?! How cleaver! And how sweet?!

Off I went to my local art supply store and I purchased a few paints that weren’t already in my collection and – because I often ‘think big’ when I get enthusiastic – I also bought a couple large, narrow canvases rather then craft paper.

Yep. I was determined to make something really special!

First – well, after painting what I decided was a pretty stellar tree branch (ya. i’m good!) – I poured my pink paints onto my pallet… two hues that were oh so pretty all swirled together!!

Blossoms 2

Then I dipped the pop bottle into the pinky mixture (I used a smaller bottle than Isabel used)…

Blossoms 3

And I started plopping paint blossoms on my canvas

Blossoms 4

Only… my blossoms weren’t delightful like Isabel’s!

They actually looked a whole lot like pink blobs of paint on a canvas!! Eeeek!

Blossoms 1

Also, where were the dollops of paint that made the middle of the flower? Isabel’s flowers had dollop-middles. Hmmmm. Time to re-think this whole project because this painting wasn’t taking me on my ‘think big’ path to greatness!

Out came my paint brushes

Blossoms 5

Ya know what? This is where the REAL FUN for me began ;-)

After planting paint blobs in all the right places around my canvas (thanks pop bottle!) I then used my brush to fill out and embellish those blobs into pretty spring-inspired pink cherry blossoms… all with their own darling cross-hatched, then finger-smudged and finally mini-dotted middles (my own patented technique – do not try this at home or the patent police will be knocking on your door! Hahaha!!)

Blossoms 6

The results are simply sweet and lovely if I do say so myself!

While not a masterpiece, I think this painting would be wonderful in a little girl’s room or freshening up a kitchen breakfast nook… or maybe YOU have the perfect place?! If you do, you know where to find me!!

Blossoms 8

Much like the real deal, these blossoms fill me with pleasure and make me smile every time I look at them!!!  I really hope you find pleasure and happiness in them too!

Happy Friday!!

Signature 2[3]

23 comments:

  1. Ahh it's lovely Victoria! You and Kelly are so makes me want to try my hand at painting too! Just need to find some time and some talent....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good save! Looks great! Perfect for the spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Feeling like spring is in the air! Finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try this, so I'll definitely have to make sure I have a paintbrush handy when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congrats on your first painting for your new store! :) And Happy Friday too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so pretty!! Great job and a whole lot of patience later....it turned out beautiful! Congrats Victoria on your new little shop! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    (Oops, dcordva is my personal email addy & totally forgot I was logged in to that~darn google! ~Shelley).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous V! Lets hope spring will come quickly now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so clever...and beautiful! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tracey Langille16 March 2012 at 09:46

    what a great project idea for a rainy Vancouver day--it looks beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea! The pop bottle is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so so beautiful!! you did such a great job :) when I look out the window and see rain I'll just look at this instead and pretend that its spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, Victoria. I appreciate that you used the pop bottle method but then you kicked it up a notch with your own artistic savvy.
    Sari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your painting came out lovely and I hope you have it hanging prominently in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's beautiful Victoria! It's certainly got me into a springtime mood! Amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you kept going despite not being happy with the initial results. It's beautiful! I also live the falling petals you added at the bottom... Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out beautifully Victoria - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reminds me of art 101 and this is a great way to share a saturday with like-minded creatives like us thanks! So pretty in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! So pretty and cheerful - a great addition to any space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful, Victoria! I loved the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete